» Join our Mailing List!
Free weekly newsletter!
California LGBT Veterans Take Step Toward Equality
Posted: 04/11/2012 - 18:33
Assembly Committee on Veterans Affairs Passes Bill by Dr. Richard Pan to Erase Discrimination in Providing State Benefits
The California State Assembly Committee on Veterans Affairs yesterday passed AB 1505, legislation authored by Dr. Richard Pan (D-Sacramento) that would ensure California veterans are not denied state veterans benefits because of their sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. Click onto the following link for an Assembly web report looking at how AB 1505 and LGBT veterans, like Sacramento Valley Veterans President Ty Redhouse, are shaping the conversation over equality for veterans after Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell was repealed: http://asmdc.org/members/a05/newsroom/video-gallery/item/2785-state-benefits-for-lgbt-veterans
“The recognition of the contributions that LGBT veterans have made throughout our nation’s history is growing and the call to ensure that they are eligible for state and federal veterans is sparking a national debate,” said Dr. Pan, Vice Chair of the Assembly Committee on Veterans Affairs. “I am proud to be carrying legislation that moves us closer to the day when all of our veterans are given all of the respect and support they deserve for defending our country.”
AB 1505 will next be voted on by the Assembly Committee on Judiciary.
“Our nation’s heroes deserve these state benefits and they deserve federal benefits, but when it comes down to it, they deserve the same rights and equality under the law that they pledged to protect when they put on the uniform.”
Benefits the bill would provide include:
- College Tuition Fee Waivers for Veterans’ dependents
- Non-Resident College Fee Waiver
- Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise Opportunities
- Veterans Homes of California
- Motor Vehicle Registration Fees Waved
- Disabled Veteran License Plates
- Free License Plates
- Veterans Preference in California Civil Service Examinations
- State of California Veterans Cemetery
- Veterans Claims Representation
- Fishing and Hunting Licenses
- Employment and Unemployment Insurance Assistance
- CalVet Farm and Home Loans
- State Parks and Recreations Pass
- Business License, Tax and Fee Waiver
- Property Tax Exemptions
Dr. Richard Pan is a father, pediatrician, educator, small business owner and first-term Assemblymember who lives in Sacramento. He also represents the Cities of Citrus Heights and Folsom and surrounding areas.
Website of Assemblymember Richard Pan: www.asmdc.org/pan
Post a Comment: (0) Comments:
OUR OTHER SITES