17 STUDENTS HONORED FOR SERVICE TO THE LGBTQ COMMUNITY
Posted: 05/24/2012 - 13:23
Fifteen graduating high school seniors received $5,000 scholarships
eQuality Scholarship Collaborative has announced the recipients of its 2012 scholarships, presented at the 23rd Annual Awards Dinner held Friday evening at the Hotel Nikko in San Francisco.
Seventeen young leaders from throughout the State were honored and recognized for their service to the LGBTQ community. Fifteen graduating high school seniors received $5,000 scholarships toward their post-secondary education. A nursing and a medical scholarship also were awarded.
This year's recipients included:
- Tabitha Ciulla of Enterprise High School in Redding
- Molly Endries of El Molino High School in Santa Rosa
- Joaquin Garcia of Pacific Collegiate School in Santa Cruz
- Stephanie Rauda of George Washington High School in San Francisco
- Lucy Walters of Harbor High School in Santa Cruz
- Morgan Wilson of Bay Area Technology School in Oakland
- Izzy Gardon of C. K. McClatchy High School in Sacramento
- Megan Green of Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek
- Sandra Jiang of El Camino High School in South San Francisco
- Alex Eisenhart of Santa Teresa High School in San Jose
- Sonja Goetsch-Avila of Arcata High School in Arcata
- Cary Crall, currently studying at Harvard Medical School.
Five additional students from the communities of Fair Oaks, Mill Valley, Oakdale, San Francisco, and San Ramon also received awards.
The scholarships will be applied at institutions from the City College of San Francisco to Harvard University and in studies ranging from cosmetology to international relations.
Over the past 23 years, the Collaborative has provided more than a half million dollars in financial assistance to well over 200 graduating high school seniors, as well as nursing and medical students. It is California's premier LGBTQ and ally youth service-recognition program.
The Collaborative is supported by employee resource groups from AAA Insurance, Genentech Out & Equal, KP Pride, Pride@KPMG, and the PG&E PrideNetwork, as well as nonprofit members, the Gay-Straight Alliance Network, Golden Gate Business Association, and Out & Equal Workplace Advocates, and numerous individual donors and volunteers. eQuality Scholarship Collaborative is a fiscally sponsored project of GSA Network.
More information is available through the Collaborative's web site, www.equalityscholarship.org.
Post a Comment: (0) Comments: