LGBTQ America Today [Three Volumes]
Posted: 11/11/2008 - 17:02
• LGBTQ Americans have endured many struggles, and during the last decade in particular they have made tremendous contributions to our multicultural society.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer culture is a vibrant and rapidly evolving component of the American mosaic. LGBTQ Americans have endured many struggles, and during the last decade in particular they have made tremendous contributions to our multicultural society. Drawing on the expertise of numerous expert contributors, this book gives students and general readers a current overview of contemporary LGBTQ American culture. Sweeping in scope, the encyclopedia looks at literature and the arts, associations and organizations, individuals, law and public policy concerns, health and relationships, sexual practices, and various other areas. Included are more than 600 alphabetically arranged entries on such topics as:
- Censorship, Obscenity, and Pornography Laws
- Ani DiFranco
- Domestic Partnership and Marriage
- Film Directors and Producers
- Gays in the Suburbs
- HIV AIDS Impact on Film
- Human Rights Campaign
- Latino Issues
- Lesbian Pulp Fiction
- Audre Lorde
- Native American Spiritualities
- Queer Theory and Social Science
- Rappers and Hip Hop
- Sex Clubs and Bathhouses
- Andrew Sullivan
- Tennessee Williams
- Transgender Health
- And many more.
Entries cite works for further reading, and the encyclopedia closes with a selected, general bibliography. While extensive biographical entries give readers a sense of the lives of prominent lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer Americans, the many topical entries provide full coverage of the challenges and contributions for which these people are known. The encyclopedia supports the social studies curriculum by helping students learn about cultural diversity, and it supports the literature curriculum by helping students learn about LGBTQ writers and their works.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- Hundreds of alphabetically arranged entries help students in social studies classes learn about the present state of LGBTQ American culture.
- Entries on literature and the arts help students in literature classes learn about the artistic achievements of LGBTQ Americans.
- An alphabetical list of entries conveniently overviews the contents of the encyclopedia.
- A guide to related topics directs readers to entries likely to interest them the most and helps facilitate student research.
- Entry bibliographies and a closing bibliography aid student research by noting the most important and exciting places to look for additional current information.
- Buy The Book Here
Post a Comment: (0) Comments: